Saturday, June 18, 2011

SAVE AND EXIT


I haven't been doing a lot of writing recently. My brain has really decided to go and throw a temper tantrum, and even though writing can be extremely therapeutic for me, I haven't been able to concentrate on it. It's getting to be late afternoon here and I haven't done any writing whatsoever, but I have managed to tidy my room and that...felt like a massive clear-out. I've had a lot of things on my mind, and doing this seems to have helped. We'll see, I guess?

One of my main procrastination tools the last couple of weeks has been watching walkthroughs of Amnesia: The Dark Descent; even though I swore I never would, I also ended up downloading it yesterday on Steam. I've officially played forty-five minutes and am so terrified I can't go on. Ha. Why is this relevant to my writing? I keep thinking, as I've said before, that I should write something Lovecraftian. But wandering around Brennenburg actually led to my brain inventing a history for the house that Anja and Ryennkar are raising their children in, and I think it is going to play a large role in the forevergirl. Actually, I am becoming more and more surprised by how big a part both Arosek and Ryenn are going to play in the entire novel. Huh.

Aside from that, I've been working on the editing of The Neverboy while working out on my stationary bike; I'm almost through the last two thirds of the book. Then I have to go back to the first ten chapters and fix that. I'm planning on printing it out and taking it with me on the plane rides to and from Wellington Monday next, if the volcanic ash doesn't ruin it first. I have to go up there to have biometrics done, which is going to take all of TEN MINUTES WTF. Ordinary I would have this done in Christchurch, but...Christchurch's CBD isn't really there anymore. Speaking of which, I live in a country of the most adorkable and charmingly insane people EVER. But yeah, I am thinking that the plane ride will give a good opportunity to just edit, and despite the fact I've had to go back to a very restricted diet because I am an idiot, I think I will have a nice lunch somewhere in the Wellington CBD and work on it then, too. We'll see. Quite what I am going to do with it when I am finished, we may never know. Perhaps I'll try to flog it to an agent when I get to London, I don't know.

I also got very close to the Finishing Frenzy of The Juniper Bones a week or so back. I ended up falling out of the Zone before I really hit my stride, but I still got abour twenty or thirty thousand words and a partially-constructed End Game out of it. I'm hoping that once I finish this edit and a couple short stories and this trade that things will flow again. Speaking of which -- the trade. This is going to be interesting! I've never done anything like it before, and I am hoping that once I've had dinner tonight and finished this little bit of mostly-constructed fluff I can begin to sketch it out. More on that later, I suppose. Right now, I am freezing cold so I want to close all my curtains, leave the lights off, and scare myself stupid. Dammit, Daniel...

No comments:

Post a Comment