Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Unbearable Strangeness of Being


So, I've just returned from a vacation -- and I use the term "return" in a slightly ironic sense, as I am not currently in New Zealand. After a very strange series of flights I originally wound up in London  (I was supposed to go via New York, but was rerouted through Vancouver thanks to one Hurricane Irene), and then my sister and I went to Turkey for eleven days. I returned to London just this afternoon, but even then my travails of travel hadn't really ended because an evacuation scare on the rail platform at Heathrow's Terminal Five rendered access to both the Express and the Underground impossible, and given the fact our flight had already been delayed and we'd had an inordinately long wait in immigration due to staff shortages...well. Time for a (rather expensive) cab ride halfway across London...

The weirdest thing about all this, of course, is that I decided to leave New Zealand just when things started to get interesting. The anthology that included Tea For Two came out on the ninth, and on the third I discovered I had won the open section of the Dan Davin competition. With that in mind, in the next couple of days I am going to talk about both things here. In the meantime, though...I need some sleep. ^_~ But I do feel very positive about my writing at the moment, so hopefully there will be more chatter about my latest projects, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment